Maintaining well-groomed hedges and shrubs is essential for a neat and visually appealing garden. To make this task more manageable and efficient, investing in a quality Electric Hedge Trimmer is a wise choice. With the wide variety of electric hedge trimmers available on the market, it can be overwhelming to determine which one is the best fit for your specific needs. That’s where we come in. In this guide, we’ll cut through the confusion and provide you with valuable insights to help you find the ideal electric hedge trimmer for your home use.
We’ll explore the key factors to consider when selecting a Electric Hedge Trimmer, including power source options such as battery-powered or mains-powered trimmers. We’ll also delve into the importance of blade size, tooth spacing, and ergonomic design to ensure efficient and comfortable trimming sessions. Safety is another crucial aspect we’ll address, emphasizing the need to check for nesting birds before starting any trimming work to comply with legal requirements and protect wildlife.
Our goal is to simplify the process of choosing the right electric hedge trimmer by providing you with unbiased recommendations based on performance, durability, and customer feedback. Whether you have a small garden with a few hedges or a larger property with extensive trimming needs, we’ll present a range of top-rated options that cater to various requirements and budgets. By the end of this guide, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge necessary to make an informed decision and achieve beautifully trimmed hedges with ease. Let’s embark on this journey to find the perfect electric hedge trimmer for your gardening endeavors.
Buying Guide :
Consider whether you prefer a corded or cordless trimmer.
These trimmers are powered by a direct electrical connection to a power outlet. They offer continuous power but are limited by the length of the cord. Make sure you have access to an outlet or consider using extension cords for larger areas.
These trimmers run on rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, providing freedom of movement without cords. Look for models with higher Ah ratings for longer battery life. Consider purchasing additional batteries for uninterrupted trimming sessions.
Blade Length and Tooth Spacing:
The blade length determines the width of the hedge you can trim in one pass. Longer blades are suitable for larger hedges, while shorter blades are more maneuverable for intricate shaping. Tooth spacing refers to the gap between the teeth and affects the size of branches the trimmer can handle. Look for a balance between blade length and tooth spacing based on your hedge size and trimming needs.
Choose a trimmer that is lightweight and well-balanced to reduce fatigue during use. Look for models with comfortable handles, adjustable grips, and vibration dampening features to enhance control and reduce strain on your arms and hands.
Opt for trimmers with safety features such as blade guards and dual-switch systems to prevent accidental starts. Some models also offer anti-jamming mechanisms to prevent the trimmer from getting stuck in thicker branches.
Durability and Build Quality:
Check for robust construction and quality materials that ensure longevity and withstand regular use. Read customer reviews and consider reputable brands known for their reliability.
Electric trimmers are generally quieter than their gas-powered counterparts. However, if noise is a concern, look for models specifically designed for reduced noise emissions.
Price and Warranty:
Set a budget based on your requirements and compare prices across different models. Consider the warranty offered by the manufacturer to ensure peace of mind and protection against potential defects.
Customer Reviews and Recommendations:
Read reviews from other customers to gauge the overall satisfaction and performance of the trimmer you’re considering. Pay attention to feedback regarding durability, battery life, cutting performance, and ease of use.
5 Best Electric Hedge Trimmer To Buy Online
1. DEWALT Battery Powered Hedge Trimmer 22″:
Introducing the DeWALT 20V Hedge Trimmer, a powerful and versatile tool that combines performance with the renowned quality of the DeWALT brand. With its 22-inch blade length and impressive cutting capability of branches up to ¾ inch thick (and even thicker in our tests), this cordless trimmer delivers exceptional results.
Equipped with a 20V battery, the DeWALT hedge trimmer offers flexibility and choice. You can select the battery size that suits your needs, ranging from compact models for lighter and shorter tasks to larger ones with extended runtime. This customization ensures that you have the optimal battery power for your specific requirements, making the trimming experience more efficient.
One standout feature of the DeWALT 20V Hedge Trimmer is its friction clutch. This added protection mechanism safeguards the transmission and motor when encountering thicker branches, giving you the confidence to tackle more challenging trimming jobs. It’s a testament to the trimmer’s durability and reliability, reflecting the high standards associated with DeWALT’s premium power tools.
Additionally, this trimmer seamlessly integrates with the entire DeWALT 20V product range, enabling you to share batteries and expand your collection with other compatible tools such as weed eaters, blowers, and saws.
- Power: 20v Battery
- Blade length: 22-inch
- Max Branch Width: 3/4 inch
- Weight: 8.8 lbs
Customer Reviews :
- Powerful and efficient cutting performance.
- Cordless convenience with no cords to deal with.
- Impressive battery life, lasting through entire trimming sessions.
- Lightweight and well-balanced for comfortable use.
- Durable construction from a trusted brand.
- Compatibility with other DeWALT 20V tools for battery interchangeability.
- Low maintenance requirements.
- Battery and charger not included, causing additional expense.
- Lack of clarity in the product description regarding the absence of a battery.
- Disappointment in the quality and durability of the trimmer, experiencing issues such as motor failure, squealing sounds, and intermittent operation.
- Complaints about the trimmer’s inability to effectively cut through even small branches or individual blades of grass.
- Concerns about missing safety items, such as a sheath, which should be included for protection.
- Frustration with oil leakage issues, leading to a messy and inconvenient experience.
- Unreliable performance and short battery life reported during use.
- Difficulty in obtaining refunds or unresponsive customer service from DeWALT or the retailer.
- Dissatisfaction with the weight and heaviness of the trimmer.
- Negative comparison to previous models or other brands that performed better.
2. WORX 20V Power Share 22-Inch Cordless Hedge Trimmer:
Introducing the Worx WG261 Cordless Hedge Trimmer, a lightweight and maneuverable option for those seeking ease of use and convenience. With its compact design and weighing just 5.3 lbs (including the battery), this trimmer is ideal for tasks that require agility and mobility.
The Worx WG261 features a D-shaped front handle that provides a sturdy grip, allowing for precise and accurate trimming in various areas. Whether you need to climb a ladder or regularly maintain your hedges, this trimmer’s lightweight construction makes it a practical choice.
While it may not possess the same level of power as some other models, the Worx WG261 still delivers impressive cutting performance, handling branches up to 3/4 inch thick. During testing, it demonstrated consistent cutting ability, although it showed some limitations with thicker branches.
If you’re already a Worx customer with other tools from their range, you’ll appreciate the convenience of the interchangeable 20V battery, allowing you to use the same power source for multiple devices.
While the Worx WG261 may not be suitable for larger projects, its super lightweight design and maneuverability make it an excellent choice for reaching high areas and sculpting smaller shrubs or hedges. Whether you need precise trimming or want to tackle topiary work, this trimmer offers a practical and versatile solution.
- Power Source: 20V lithium-ion battery
- Blade Length: 22 inches
- Maximum Branch Width: 3/4 inch
- Weight: 5.3 lbs (including the battery)
- Nicely thought out tool with a front hand safety switch and no cord.
- Great trimmer, quickly trims overgrown plants.
- Works better than hand shears, easy to assemble, lightweight.
- Runs for about 30 minutes on a battery, suitable for small tasks.
- Satisfied with the hedgers, long-lasting battery, and affordable price.
- Trimmer did not work, had to contact customer service and start a monthly subscription.
- Trimmer shreds needles instead of properly trimming them.
- Power button and battery removal were problematic.
- Power and performance were disappointing, required additional battery purchase.
- Compatibility issues with batteries and false advertising.
- Defective battery replacement sent.
- Guard and handle attachment difficulties.
- Long charging time and short battery life.
- Lack of power and inability to handle small limbs.
- Machine stops cutting and gets bogged down easily.
3. Black+Decker 20V Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmer 22″:
The Black + Decker 20V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer is a versatile and reliable tool for your yard work needs. With a 22-inch blade and a 20v battery, it offers a good cutting capacity and lasting power. The PowerCut function provides an extra boost of power to tackle thicker branches, although it’s recommended to avoid extensive use on very thick branches to prevent motor damage. The trimmer is compatible with Black + Decker’s Power Connect battery system, allowing you to interchange it with other Black + Decker tools.
On the downside, some users have experienced issues with the plastic guard coming loose, which may require occasional readjustment. Overall, this trimmer offers a quality product from a reputable brand and the convenience of a lightweight battery with good running time. If you need more power or extended runtime, Black + Decker offers other models to consider.
- Power: 20v Battery
- Blade length: 22-inch
- Max Branch Width: 3/4 inch
- Weight: 7.68 lbs
- Fast and easy trimming, lightweight and easy to handle
- Does the job, great hedge trimmer
- Excellent performance, light and quiet, easy to control
- Efficient for home gardening, highly effective
- Cuts smoothly, jam-proof, user-friendly
- Lightweight, quiet, and efficient with batteries
- Ideal for homeowner use, durable and reliable
- Works great on shrubs, handles thick branches well
- Impressive trimmer, easy to handle, good battery life
- Great trimmer, excellent battery life, lightweight
- Battery died after minimal use, expensive replacement
- Received refurbished unit instead of new
- Blades jammed easily, rendering the trimmer useless
- Poor battery life, unable to trim more than one bush at a time
- Tool stopped working after only four months of use
- Difficult assembly, screws cannot be removed
- Terrible customer service for returns and refunds
- Safety button and trigger did not work, trimmer was unusable
- Battery did not charge, poor customer support
- Trimmer did not cut thick branches as advertised, battery had short runtime
- Only one battery included in the kit, felt like a rip-off
4. Greenworks 22-Inch Dual-Action Corded Hedge Trimmer:
The Greenworks 4 Amp 22-inch Corded Hedge Trimmer is a budget-friendly option that doesn’t compromise on performance. With a powerful 4-Amp motor and a 22-inch dual-action steel blade, it offers efficient cutting and maneuverability. The trimmer has a cutting capacity of 5/8 inch, making it suitable for most garden hedges and shrubs.
One standout feature of this trimmer is its lightweight design, making it easy to handle and use for extended periods. Additionally, it is one of the quietest trimmers available, providing a more pleasant user experience.
While the trimmer lacks the portability of cordless models, its corded design eliminates the need for battery recharging. The trimmer also features a cord lock to prevent accidental unplugging during operation.
It’s worth noting that the trimmer may struggle with thicker branches, and the cutting capacity advertised as 5/8 inch may differ from the 3/8 inch mentioned in the manual. However, for regular garden maintenance and smaller tasks, this trimmer offers reliable performance at an affordable price.
- Power: 4 Amp
- Blade length: 22 inches
- Maximum Branch Width: 5/8 inch
- Weight: 5.7 lbs
- Cutting Capacity: 5/8 inch (advertised as 5/8 inch, but the manual states 3/8 inch)
- Blade Type: Dual-action steel blade
- Motor Type: Electric
- Handle Design: 3-position auxiliary handle and rotating rear handle
- Cord Lock: Yes, to prevent accidental unplugging
- Voltage: 120v
Customer Reviews :
Positive Reviews :
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Performs well and delivers good trimming results
- Works efficiently on various types of hedges and bushes
- Provides a smooth and level trim
- Offers plenty of power for cutting through branches
- The rotating handle feature adds convenience
- Well-made and durable construction
- Greenworks brand is reliable and trustworthy
- Blades jamming or locking up
- Lack of power or underperformance
- Breakdown or failure after short periods of use
- Overheating and requiring cool-down periods
- Poor wiring or electrical connections
- Inadequate customer service
- Multiple instances of product failure
- Disappointing overall quality and reliability
5. Ryobi 22 in. 18-Volt Cordless Hedge Trimmer:
The Ryobi 18V hedge trimmer is a highly regarded and reliable portable tool that lives up to expectations. Despite being one of the least powerful trimmers in its category, it delivers excellent performance that will appeal to yard work enthusiasts. With a 22-inch blade, it performs just as well as other trimmers on the market.
The trimmer features both a rotating handle and a wrap-around handle, allowing for easy maneuverability and cutting from various angles. Its slightly smaller body makes it highly portable, making it ideal for trimming a large number of hedges. Additionally, the hedge sweep function is a valuable feature that collects trimmings while cutting, making cleanup easier and saving precious time.
The Ryobi One+ trimmer weighs just 6.26 pounds, making it one of the lightest battery-powered trimmers available. Its dual-action blades can handle branches up to 3/4 inch in diameter, and the wraparound front handle provides a comfortable grip. The hedge sweep feature helps clear away clippings and debris, enhancing efficiency during trimming sessions.
- Power: 18V
- Blade length: 22 inches
- Maximum branch width: 3/4 inch
- Weight: 8 lbs
- Works great and lasts a decent amount on just a 2amp battery.
- One of the best tools that I have purchased.
- Much easier to use than a corded trimmer.
- Performs magnificently, cutting through branches and small trees with ease.
- Has the power needed for the work, can cut 1/2 inch stems with ease.
- Handle rotates and locks for easy trimming at different angles.
- Long battery life, can trim large bushes on one charge.
- Well-balanced and lightweight, reducing fatigue during use.
- The power surprised me for a cordless trimmer, cutting through thick branches easily.
- Makes trimming hedges easy, lightweight and cordless design.
- Batteries have good life/power, and the trimmer is recommended for its performance.
- Lightweight and no cords, making it easy to use.
- False advertising, no battery or charger included.
- Battery doesn’t stay in the unit, posing safety concerns.
- Motor burned up after only 5 months of use.
In conclusion, finding the right electric hedge trimmer for your gardening needs is crucial for maintaining well-groomed hedges and shrubs in your garden. With the multitude of options available on the market, it can be overwhelming to determine which trimmer is the best fit for you. However, by considering important factors such as power source, blade length, ergonomics, safety features, and durability, you can make an informed decision.
Corded trimmers provide continuous power but are limited by the length of the cord, while cordless trimmers offer freedom of movement without cords, relying on rechargeable batteries. Blade length and tooth spacing are important considerations, with longer blades suitable for larger hedges and shorter blades more maneuverable for precise shaping. Ergonomics play a crucial role in reducing fatigue during use, so selecting a lightweight and well-balanced trimmer with comfortable handles is essential.
Safety features like blade guards and dual-switch systems help prevent accidental starts, and durability is ensured by checking for robust construction and quality materials. Considering noise levels, price, warranty, and customer reviews can further aid in making the right choice.
Throughout this guide, we have highlighted two top-rated electric hedge trimmers: the DEWALT Battery Powered Hedge Trimmer 22″ and the WORX 20V Power Share 22-Inch Cordless Hedge Trimmer. The DEWALT trimmer offers exceptional cutting performance, flexibility with battery options, and integration with other DEWALT 20V tools. On the other hand, the WORX trimmer provides lightweight maneuverability, precise trimming, and compatibility with existing WORX chargers.
While both trimmers have their pros and cons, the choice ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. By carefully considering the factors discussed in this guide and researching customer reviews, you can confidently select the electric hedge trimmer that will help you achieve beautifully trimmed hedges with ease.
Remember to prioritize safety precautions, such as checking for nesting birds before starting any trimming work, and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper and safe use of your chosen trimmer. With the right electric hedge trimmer by your side, you can transform your garden into a visually appealing and well-maintained outdoor space.
Q: What are the advantages of using an electric hedge trimmer over a gas-powered trimmer?
A: Electric hedge trimmers offer several advantages over gas-powered trimmers. Firstly, electric trimmers are generally quieter, making them more suitable for residential areas where noise restrictions may be in place. Secondly, electric trimmers do not produce harmful emissions, making them more environmentally friendly. They also eliminate the need for fuel mixing and reduce maintenance requirements. Additionally, electric trimmers are often lighter and more maneuverable than gas-powered trimmers, offering greater comfort and control during use.
Q: Can I use a cordless electric hedge trimmer for larger trimming projects?
A: Cordless electric hedge trimmers can be used for larger trimming projects, but their suitability depends on the specific model and its battery capacity. It’s important to consider the runtime of the battery and whether it can provide enough power to handle the size and thickness of the hedges you’ll be trimming. For larger projects, it may be necessary to have spare batteries or choose a model with extended battery life. Additionally, corded electric trimmers or gas-powered trimmers may be more suitable for extensive trimming needs as they provide continuous power without the limitations of battery life.
Q: How important is blade length when choosing an electric hedge trimmer?
A: Blade length is an important consideration when choosing an electric hedge trimmer as it determines the width of the hedge you can trim in one pass. Longer blades are suitable for larger hedges, allowing you to cover more area and complete the job more efficiently. However, longer blades may be less maneuverable for intricate shaping. It’s essential to assess the size of your hedges and consider the balance between blade length and your specific trimming needs. For smaller hedges or precise shaping, shorter blades may be more suitable.
Q: Are there any safety considerations when using an electric hedge trimmer?
A: Yes, safety is a crucial aspect when using an electric hedge trimmer. Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe operation. Some important safety considerations include wearing appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, to protect yourself from debris and potential accidents. It’s also essential to check for nesting birds before starting any trimming work, as disturbing nesting birds may be illegal and harmful to wildlife. Additionally, opt for trimmers with safety features such as blade guards and dual-switch systems to prevent accidental starts and reduce the risk of injury.
Q: Can I use an electric hedge trimmer in wet conditions?
A: It is generally not recommended to use an electric hedge trimmer in wet conditions or during rain. Water can pose a risk of electric shock and damage the trimmer’s electrical components. Always use the trimmer in dry conditions and ensure the trimmer and the extension cord (if applicable) are kept away from water sources. If you need to trim hedges after rain or in damp conditions, wait for the foliage to dry and ensure a safe and dry environment before operating the trimmer.