Looking to ditch the hassle of gas-powered lawn mowers? Best Electric Lawn Mowers models are here to save the day! Best Electric Lawn Mowers specifically the battery-powered ones, offer a host of advantages that make them a popular choice among homeowners. They are incredibly easy to use, requiring minimal assembly right out of the box. Plus, they operate quietly, saving you from the noisy racket associated with gas mowers. And the best part? They are eco-friendly!
With no fuel to worry about, Best Electric Lawn Mowers eliminate the risk of leakage and save you from the headache of maintenance. You can store them vertically, freeing up valuable space in your garage or shed. And don’t let their electric power fool you – these mowers perform just as well as their gas counterparts, ensuring a clean and precise cut for your lawn.
As we gear up for the summer and prime lawn care season, it’s the perfect time to explore the top electric lawn mowers of 2023. Battery-powered models have seen remarkable advancements in technology, resulting in enhanced cutting capabilities and longer run times. Whether you have a small yard or a medium-sized one, these mowers are up to the task, even handling trimming and surface cleaning with ease.
We’ve put these mowers through rigorous testing and evaluation, considering factors such as power, bagging ability, cut cleanliness, and user-friendliness. So, whether you’re driven by HOA regulations, environmental consciousness, or simply a desire for a more pleasant mowing experience, this list will guide you towards the ideal Electric Lawn Mowers that suits your needs. Say goodbye to gas and hello to hassle-free lawn care!
Determine your needs:
Consider the size of your lawn, terrain, and any specific features you require. This will help you decide between a push mower, self-propelled mower, robotic mower, or riding mower.
Battery and run time:
Check the battery capacity and run time of the electric lawn mower. Opt for a model with a battery that can provide sufficient power to cover your lawn without frequent recharging.
Cutting width and height adjustment:
Look for a mower with a suitable cutting width for your lawn size. A wider cutting width will require fewer passes to complete the job. Also, ensure the mower has easy height adjustment options to accommodate different grass lengths.
Maneuverability and ease of use:
Consider the weight and maneuverability of the mower, especially if you have uneven terrain or obstacles in your yard. Look for features like adjustable handles and ergonomic designs for comfortable operation.
Mulching and bagging options:
Determine whether you prefer a mower that can mulch the grass clippings or collect them in a bag. Some models offer both options, providing versatility based on your lawn care preferences.
Check for safety features such as a blade brake system, which stops the blade when the mower is released, and a safety key or button to prevent accidental startups.
Electric Lawn Mower are generally quieter than gas-powered mowers. Consider the noise level if you have noise restrictions or if you prefer a quieter mowing experience.
Brand reputation and customer reviews:
Research reputable brands known for producing quality electric lawn mower Read customer reviews and ratings to gauge the overall satisfaction and reliability of the models you’re considering.
Warranty and customer support:
Look for mowers that come with a warranty, as it provides peace of mind against potential defects or malfunctions. Additionally, check the availability of customer support and after-sales service from the manufacturer.
Set a budget and compare prices for electric lawn mower with the desired features. Remember that while cheaper models may save you money upfront, higher-quality mowers with additional features may provide better long-term value.
4 Best Electric Lawn Mowers of 2023
1. Ego LM2167SP Electric Lawn Mower:
The Ego LM2167SP Electric Lawn Mower is a standout machine that delivers exceptional power, cut quality, bagging ability, and an impressively large cut area. In fact, we believe it can cut even more grass than our measured cut area test revealed. With its thorough engineering and the inclusion of a massive 12-Ah battery, this mower is designed to go the distance.
One standout feature of the LM2167SP is its electronic adaptation to your walking pace, making it incredibly user-friendly.
It even features an LED dashboard, a unique addition in the walk-behind mower category. The dashboard allows you to control various settings, such as turning the headlight on or off and selecting from Turbo, Normal, or Eco blade speeds. During our testing, we found the mower to be a joy to operate, and it consistently delivered excellent cutting results.
The LM2167SP features a rear drive system that adapts to your pace, slowing down as you near the end of each row and coasting to a near stop before turning for the next pass. This drive system proved to be reliable and consistent on uphill, downhill, and level surfaces. It adds a sophisticated touch to the mowing experience.
With a voltage of 56 and a weight of 70.2 pounds (with one 12-Ah battery), this mower is equipped to handle extensive cutting tasks. It has an impressive cut area per charge of 19,100 square feet, making it a top choice for large yards or properties.
- Brand: EGO Power+
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Color: Black
- Style: Self-Propelled / (2) 4.0Ah Battery
- Item Weight: 62.61 Pounds
- Cutting Width: 21 Inches
- Number of Positions: 6
- Operation Mode: Automatic
- Product Dimensions: 61.61″D x 22.92″W x 46.46″H
- Run Time: Up to 65 minutes on a single charge with two included EGO 56V 4.0Ah ARC Lithium batteries
- Variable Speed Self-Propel: 1.3 MPH to 3.1 MPH
- Cutting Height Adjustments: 6 positions ranging from 1.5″ to 4″
- 3-in-1 Function: Mulching, bagging, side discharge
- Push-Button Start: Quick and easy
- LED headlights for enhanced visibility
- 1-handed height adjustment
- Weather-resistant construction and foldable for compact storage
- 2-bushel grass collection bag with easy access
- Suitable for cutting all grass types, including St. Augustine, Bermuda, and Zoysia grass
- Warranty: 5-Year Tool Warranty
- Whisper-quiet and light, making it a pleasure to use
- Effortless maneuverability and variable speed self-propel for easy navigation
- Versatile with six cutting heights and 3-in-1 function (mulching, bagging, side discharge)
- Generous 65-minute runtime with two included batteries
- Built-in LED lights for enhanced visibility
- Easy assembly and quick battery charging
- Suitable for various grass types and can handle steep slopes
- Environmentally friendly with no gas or oil required
- Solid construction and easy mowing height adjustments
- Good power and self-propel feature
- Positive experience with battery life and performance
- Defective battery received, difficult to get a replacement from EGO and Amazon
- Poor battery life, takes a long time to mow a small yard, batteries lose the ability to charge if left charged
- Blades not spinning, issues with safety switches, had to take it to a repair shop
- Difficulty starting the mower, unhelpful customer service
- Uneven cutting, leaves patches of grass, short battery runtime
- Faulty battery, replacement took a long time to arrive
- Damaged product upon delivery, missing batteries and charger
- Battery does not last long, requires multiple batteries to complete a small yard
- Missing batteries and charger in the package
- One of the purchased batteries does not charge
2 . Ryobi 40V HP Brushless 21-Inch Dual-Blade Self-Propelled Mower:
The Ryobi 40V HP Brushless 21 Inch Cordless Self-Propelled Mower receives high ratings for its design, performance, usability, safety, and overall value. It offers powerful performance comparable to some gas models, with a long 70-minute runtime and fast 60-minute charging. The mower is lightweight and folds for easy storage.
One standout feature is its self-propelled technology, which makes mowing over uneven terrain effortless. It offers seven adjustable cutting heights (1.5 to 4 inches) to accommodate different lawn conditions. The mower comes with two 40-volt batteries and a rapid charger, ensuring continuous operation without the need for frequent recharging.
However, the grass collection bag can fill quickly, requiring frequent emptying, especially when mowing tall grass. The bag is small and can spill easily, causing some inconvenience. While the mulching and side-discharge options are available, the mower may struggle with breaking up older leaves.
The Ryobi 40V HP Brushless 21 Inch Cordless Self-Propelled Mower is easy to fold and store vertically, saving space. It includes safety features such as a push-button start with a separate key for added security and a lever that needs to be gripped for the mower to operate. LED headlights provide additional visibility during early morning or late evening mowing.
- Brand: Generic
- Power Source: Corded Electric, Battery Powered
- Material: Aluminum
- Color: Gray, Green
- Style: Cordless
- Cutting Width: 21 Inches
- Number of Positions: 7
- Item Weight: 78 pounds
- Manufacturer: RYOBI
- Easy to use and maneuver
- Good cutting performance
- Long battery life
- Lightweight and easy to push
- Convenient foldable design for storage
- Quiet operation
- Unreliable performance and frequent stalling.
- Drive system malfunctions.
- Difficulty finding repair services.
- Poor customer support.
- Multiple faulty products.
3. Makita 36-Volt Lithium-Ion Push Lawn Mower:
If you’re in the market for a cordless, battery-powered push mower, the Makita electric lawn mower is worth considering. It boasts a powerful brushless motor that can reach speeds of up to 3,300 RPM, providing efficient cutting performance. The mower is powered by two 18-volt batteries, and the package includes four batteries, allowing for extended run time. With a total runtime of up to 43 minutes, you can cover a considerable area before needing to recharge.
The Makita Push Lawn Mower features an 18-inch commercial-grade steel deck, ensuring durability and longevity. It offers 10 cutting height options, ranging from 0.81 to 3 inches, giving you flexibility in maintaining your lawn’s desired length. While it performs well on most turf types, it may struggle a bit with overgrown grass. The mower provides multiple cutting options, including bagging, mulching, and rear-discharge, allowing you to choose what suits your needs.
One notable feature is the optional quiet mode, which lets you mow your lawn without disturbing your neighbors. The handlebar has a rubberized grip for added comfort during use, and it can be folded for compact storage, saving space in your garage or shed.
It’s important to note that the Makita Push Lawn Mower has a deck on the smaller side, measuring 18 inches. While this may not be an issue for smaller lawns, it may require more passes for larger areas. Additionally, some customers have mentioned that it may not be the best option for tall or overgrown grass.
- Brand: Makita
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Material: Alloy Steel
- Color: Teal
- Style: Kit with four 4.0Ah batteries
- Cutting Width: 18 Inches
- Product Dimensions: 33.47″D x 19.02″W x 22.44″H
- Item Weight: 80 Pounds
- Manufacturer: Makita
- ASIN: B092Q4P5DS
- Item model number: XML03CM1
- Batteries: 4 Lithium-Ion batteries required. (included)
- The mower handles tall and thick grass with ease, even after a period of heavy rain.
- The single lever for adjusting the deck height is a convenient feature.
- Starting the mower is simple with just the press of a button.
- The hand grip lever takes some getting used to, but it provides good control once you get the hang of it.
- The mower is quiet compared to gas mowers.
- The packaging could be improved to prevent scratching the deck during shipping.
- The mower is capable of handling a 70×40 yard with battery life to spare.
- It has adjustable height and useful features like a battery level indicator and removable bag.
- It may stall when mowing tall or thick grass, but slowing down or adjusting the height solves the issue.
- The mower is powerful and can handle overgrown areas with ease.
- The battery life is sufficient, and it comes with four 4.0Ah batteries.
- It is a well-made machine and easy to start without the hassle of gas-powered mowers.
- The mower is relatively heavy but performs well.
- It provides a quality mowing experience with no gasoline smell and less noise.
- The 4.0Ah batteries work well, but larger batteries would provide longer run time.
- The mower is durable and can handle thick growth without issues.
- It does not pick up leaves effectively but performs well for grass mowing.
- Assembly is easy, and the mower is sturdy and well-built.
- Batteries don’t indicate when fully charged, causing frequent interruptions during mowing.
- The mower stalls frequently and requires waiting for it to restart.
- Some customers faced difficulties in getting assistance from Makita customer support.
- The mower struggles to perform well in high grass, requiring manual handling and frequent stops.
- Faulty batteries were received in some cases, resulting in inconvenience and frustration.
- The mower automatically goes into low power mode, affecting cutting performance and bagging clippings.
- In some instances, the wires connecting the motor to the handle were easily damaged.
- Missing charger and battery were reported in one instance.
- The mower doesn’t effectively cut through thick or dense lawns.
- The mower is not self-propelled, making it challenging to maneuver on hilly terrains.
4. Worx WG779 Power Share 40-Volt 14-Inch Cordless Walk Behind Mower:
The Worx Power Share Battery Walk-Behind Mower is a lightweight and maneuverable option, making it easy to handle and navigate around your yard. It weighs just 29 pounds, making it suitable for users of various strengths and sizes. The mower comes with two batteries and a dual charging port, allowing for efficient recharging.
One convenient feature of this mower is the on-board battery charge indicator, which helps you keep track of the battery level and prevent running out of power during mowing. The batteries are also compatible with other Worx tools, offering versatility and convenience.
The mower offers six height adjustments, allowing you to customize the cutting height to your preference. It also provides the option to mulch or bag grass clippings, and the transparent plastic top of the bag makes it easy to see when it needs to be emptied.
While the Worx Power Share mower excels in smaller yards and lighter tasks, it may struggle on tougher terrain and more demanding grass. Some users have reported difficulties with tougher grass and stalling on uneven surfaces.
- Cutting Width: 14 inches
- Weight: 29.1 pounds
- Power Source: Battery (Worx Power Share platform)
- Battery Type: Lithium-ion
- Battery Capacity: Not specified
- Battery Voltage: Not specified
- Cutting Options: Bag, mulch
- Height Adjustments: 6 positions
- Charging Time: Not specified
- Run Time per Charge: Not specified
- Cutting Area per Charge: Up to 0.12 acres
- Deck Material: Not specified
- Handle Design: Ergonomic, foldable
- Grass Bag Capacity: Not specified
- Battery Charge Indicator: Yes
- Compatibility: Batteries compatible with other Worx Power Share tools
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Easy to start and operate
- Quiet operation compared to gas mowers
- Battery-powered, eliminating the need for gas and oil
- Long-lasting batteries with fast charging
- Interchangeable batteries compatible with other Worx yard tools
- Adjustable cutting height
- Mulching feature cuts grass into small pieces for a clean look
- Transparent grass bag for easy monitoring
- Quick and easy assembly process
- The handles of the mower were too long, causing it to tip back off the ground.
- The instructions for starting and operating the mower were confusing.
- The mower couldn’t complete a whole yard mow without having to recharge the battery.
- The mower had issues with cheap plastic parts that broke easily.
- The intelligent speed-up function was slow and required pausing for it to adjust.
- The handle connection became curved after three years of use.
- The wheels would stick and drag large chunks of dirt and grass when not using the auto-drive function.
- The mower had limited power and would stall when encountering any sort of lip or edge.
- The mower did not handle tall grass well and would scalp the lawn on uneven ground.
- The customer service from the company was terrible, with unresponsive representatives and no resolution to issues.
- Some customers received broken or used mowers, causing frustration and inconvenience.
- The mower had manufacturing defects, such as improperly assembled parts and faulty safety mechanisms.
- The battery life was insufficient, requiring additional expensive batteries to finish mowing.
- The mower clogged easily and was made of cheap plastic that broke after a year of use.
In conclusion, the year 2023 brings forth a range of impressive electric lawn mowers that offer efficient and eco-friendly solutions for maintaining your lawn. The top 4 electric lawn mowers of 2023, including the Greenworks Electric Corded Lawn Mower, Ryobi 40V HP Brushless 21 Inch Cordless Self-Propelled Mower, Ryobi Battery Electric Cordless Riding Lawn Tractor, and Worx WR147 Landroid Robotic Mower, each have their own unique features and benefits.
For those with smaller yards and a limited budget, the Greenworks electric lawn mowers stands out as an excellent choice. It is a push mower that offers ease of navigation and affordability. On the other hand, the Ryobi 40V HP Brushless 21 Inch Cordless Self-Propelled Mower provides the convenience of self-propulsion, making it suitable for medium-sized to large lawns with sloped or uneven terrain.
If you have a large yard with steep slopes, the Ryobi Battery electric lawn mowers offers the power and capability to tackle such challenging terrain. Lastly, for the ultimate convenience, the Worx WR147 Landroid Robotic Mower operates autonomously, saving you time and effort in lawn maintenance.
Regardless of the model you choose, electric lawn mowers offer numerous advantages over their gas-powered counterparts. They are quieter, produce zero emissions, and require less maintenance. With options for corded or cordless operation, adjustable cutting heights, and various cutting widths, you can find an electric lawn mower that suits your specific needs.
As technology continues to advance, electric lawn mowers are becoming more powerful, efficient, and user-friendly. Investing in an electric lawn mower in 2023 ensures that you are embracing a greener approach to lawn care while still achieving excellent results. Say goodbye to the noise, fumes, and hassle of gas-powered mowers and embrace the future of lawn maintenance with electric lawn mowers in 2023.
Question: What is the life expectancy of an electric lawn mower?
Answer: The lifespan of an electric lawn mower varies based on factors such as make, model, and maintenance practices. With proper care, charging, and battery storage, an electric lawn mower can easily meet the user’s expectations.
Question: Do electric lawn mowers require maintenance?
Answer: Yes, like any other lawn mower, electric lawn mowers require proper maintenance according to the manufacturer’s guidelines. Regularly inspecting cords, batteries, and vents for damage or debris, and following manufacturer recommendations for battery usage and charging are important maintenance practices.
Question: How much do electric lawn mowers cost?
Answer: The cost of electric lawn mowers varies depending on the type and features. Push mowers are generally more affordable, while self-propelled, robotic, and riding mowers can be more expensive. The price range can start from over $100 and go up significantly depending on the model and brand.
Question: What are the disadvantages of an electric lawn mower?
Answer: Some disadvantages of electric lawn mowers include shorter run times for cordless models, potential tripping hazards with cords, and the higher cost compared to gas-powered mowers. Additionally, corded electric lawn mowers may have limited mobility due to the cord length.
Question: How long do electric lawn mowers take to charge?
Answer: The charge time for an electric lawn mower battery will depend on its size and the charger being used. Generally, an electric lawn mower battery connected to a 10 amp charger should take around an hour to charge. Higher amp ratings may require more time.